Raw, organic, unfiltered, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar (ACV for short) may not taste yummy to you but your body thinks so. Personally I don’t mind the taste, but to help, I incorporate 2 oz. ACV ( Braggs), 1 teaspoon raw organic honey, a slice of ginger, and 8 oz. of warm water (do not drink ACV straight). Occasionally, I also add a few dried hibiscus flowers. I practice this every morning first thing right before I eat. I also suggest starting with 1 teaspoon ACV first and working your way up to two table spoons. Once there, you could also double the water and drink half in the morning and half in the evening.
Why do I do this you might ask? It gives me more energy throughout the day and has the following known benefits:
- ACV contains a wealth of raw enzymes and beneficial bacteria that are responsible for the majority of it health benefits.
- It alkalizes your system, which is good for your body because many enzymes and chemical reactions work best in alkaline pH. This is better for healing. Studies have shown that higher acid levels in the body can lead to a lack of energy and higher incidences of infection.
- ACV has been proven to lower your blood sugar, which is beneficial for people that are pre-diabetic or have diabetes (use caution if already on blood sugar reducing medication).
- ACV increases your heathy HDL’s (good cholesterol) and controls your triglyceride levels.
- It aids in the detoxification of the your liver and organs, as well as cleaning up lymph nodes allowing your body to remove toxins from your cells more efficiently. This will boost your immune system.
- ACV helps reduce free radicals in your body that cause oxidative damage, which plays a major role in disease and aging.
- Your digestive system stands to benefit because ACV helps your body break down food. This helps with indigestion, bloating, gas, and even heart burn (will not help with ulcers). When taken with meals ACV can aid in the nutrient absorption of calcium, helping prevent and treat osteoporosis.
- Candida overgrowths can be responsible for different health issues, including poor memory, fatigue, headaches, depression, sugar cravings, and yeast infections. Especially if your body becomes acidic from stress, eating too much processed food, sugar, refined carbohydrates, or if the good bacteria in your body is killed off by antibiotic use. ACV being rich in raw enzymes and the fact that it helps alkalize you, can help eliminate candida from your body.
- Studies in Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry showed participants that took ACV for 12 weeks managed to achieve declines in body weight, abdominal fat, waist circumference and triglycerides. This was backed up by research later done in Japan.
If all of this sounds too good to be true, try it out for yourself to see why ACV is one of the oldest and most useful remedies around! Be well.
P.S. I recommend drinking your ACV mixture with a straw which will help if you have sensitive teeth or don’t like the taste (passes by most of your taste buds).
P.P.S. Substituting ACV for regular vinegar’s in salad dressing is a easy way to incorporate it into your meals.
For more information or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Joshua Longo, call 916-581-9600 today!